fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "million pounds" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "% will be for you" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "god fearing " (scammers in West Africa like to use religious phrases)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: grace martins <email@example.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 10:55:10 +0000
Subject: Donation For Work Of God
Donation For Work Of God
I am Mrs.Grace Martins. a widow suffering from long-term diseases
(cancer), I have some money I inherited from my beloved husband late
Mr. Seyed Hakim the sum of Â£7.5 million Pounds that he deposited in
the bank here in Ivory coast West Africa and need a very honest
person and God fearing who can use these funds for the work of God,
and 15% will be for your compensation for doing this work of God.
I took this decision because I do not have any child that will inherit
this money. I do not want a situation where this money will be used
impious way. That is why I am taking this decision. I'm not afraid of
death hence I know where I going.Please if you would be able to use
this fund for Gods work kindly reply me,
Your sister in Christ,