fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "million united state dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "united state dollar" (this email uses bad English)
- This email message is a fake lottery scam. Consider the following facts about real lotteries:
- They don't notify winners by email.
- You can't win without first buying a lottery ticket.
- They don't randomly select email addresses to award prizes to.
- They don't use free email accounts (Yahoo, Hotmail, etc) to communicate with you.
- They don't tell you to call a mobile phone number.
- They don't tell you to keep your winnings secret.
- They will never ask a winner to pay any fees to receive a prize!
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 15:49:04 -0800
Subject: Your urgent feedback is highly appreciated.
1600 Amphitheatre Parkway
Mountain View, CA 94043 USA
Our Ref: UK/422-2021/GF
Notification: February 2021
GOOGLE FOUNDATION: RELIEF 2021
We wish to congratulate you on this note for being selected as a major customer this year. This promotion was set-up to encourage the active users of Google search engine and the Google ancillary services and confirmed by our co-sponsors Visa*/MasterCard* International. Google earns its profit mainly from advertising using their own Gmail, Gala, Sify email services, Google Maps, Google Apps, Orkut social networking, You Tube video sharing, Google search engine and Google ancillary services which are all offered to the public for free. EACH YEAR, WE DONATE One Hundred Million United State Dollars IN GRANTS, 200,000 HOURS, One Billion United State Dollars IN PRODUCTS.
Hence, we do believe with your grant, you will continue to be active and patronize Google search engine. Google is now the biggest search engine Worldwide and in effort to make sure that it remains the most widely used search engine, through our online email Beta analysis via Google Ai (Artificial Intelligence) which your email address won Two Million Eight Hundred and Forty-Six Thousand Great British Pounds. We wish to formally inform you that you have successfully passed the requirements, statutory obligations, verification, validations and satisfactory report Test conducted to all on-line winners. A bank draft of Two Million Eight Hundred and Forty-Six Thousand Great British Pounds will be issued in your name by Google Foundation Board (UK).
Furthermore, your details (e-mail address) fall within our UK representative office as indicated in our database and your grant will be released to you from our UK regional office in London United Kingdom.
You are required to Contact Google Foundation Board (UK) below for the documentation and processing of your grant, between the hours of 8.00am - 7.30pm on Monday to Saturday.
Name: Mr. Graham Bednash
Google Foundation Board (UK)
Do e-mail the Foundation Board office at once with the Verification and Funds release form below for validation of your grant. You are also advised to contact our Google Payment Coordinator (Mr. Graham Bednash via the above email) with the following details below to avoid unnecessary delay and complications.
MANDATORY VERIFICATION AND FUNDS RELEASE FORM
-What is your comment on Google Foundation?
-Your preferred mode of grant remittance from the two options below:
â¢ Cash Pick-Up (You as the Beneficiary coming down to our office in the UK to receive your Grant Personally, available to only British Citizens and Residents).
â¢ Bank to Bank Online Electronic Swift Transfer of your Bank draft from Google Foundation UK.
Google values your right to privacy! Your information is 100% secured and will be used exclusively for the purpose of this grant only.
Note: This is a FOUNDATION GRANT not a LOTTERY. Google is not into LOTTERY.
For security reasons, you are advised to keep your winning information confidential till your claims are processed and your money remitted to you. This is part of our precautionary measure to avoid double claiming and unwarranted abuse of this program by some unscrupulous elements. Please be warned!
Congratulations from the Staffs & Members of Google and Google Foundation Board.
Chairman of the Board and Chief Executive Officer
Â©2021 Google Corporation Powered by Google
All right reserved. This email was sent from a notification email address. The information in this email is confidential and legally privileged. It is for the exclusive use of the intended recipient(s). Please consider the environment.