fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "inheritance funds" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "consignment " (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
Reply-To: "firstname.lastname@example.org" <email@example.com>
FBI- Criminal Justice Information Services Division
Federal Government Office
FBI Director Mr Christopher Wray
Address:935 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington, DC 20535 ,United States
HAVE YOU BEEN ABLE TO RECEIVE YOUR FUNDS?
I'm contacting you by your email however; I feel it's best and more convenient for me to explain why I am contacting you. I'm FBI Director Mr Christopher Wray United States New Appointed FBI fraud Investigator,I work hand in hand with the United States Fraud Unit of the Criminal Investigation Division (CID). I'm specialize in Background Investigations on funds which include [COMPENSATION/INHERITANCE FUNDS OR NEXT OF KIN,Consignment Box,LottoÂ® JACKPOT, LOANS] and I notice that you have being receiving numerous emails from people who claims to have funds coming to you but I advise that if you're still in communication with any of them on issue of funds however, you're hereby advise to stop every communication right now because those people has being investigated and confirmed to be a Fraud. I wish to announce our successful investigation which was carried out few days ago; I guess it will interest you to know why this investigation was conducted. For your information, it was truly that you have 100% Legitimate unpaid transaction and you have every right to claim this funds as you're been confirmed to be the right Beneficiary of the said amount ($10.5 Million US Dollar)
Nearest Airport ===
I'm waiting to hear from you with your requested details to enable me complete the delivery of your fund in consignment box to your provided Home Address .