fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: UNITED NATION <email@example.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 08:09:46 -0800
Subject: COMPENSATION PAYMENT FOR 2022 FISCAL YEAR
UNITED NATIONS FUNDS COMPENSATION DEPARTMENT:
NEW YORK-UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.
Dear Sir/Ma Good day,
COMPENSATION PAYMENT FOR 2022 FISCAL YEAR:
Sorry for making this contact through e-mail since we could not reach
your phone number.
My name is Mr Antonio Guterres,Secretary to United Nations.A meeting
was held on your behalf by just concluded 73rd United Nation's general
assembly within the UN/IMF countries concerning the unclaimed funds
denied to many people all over the world. Your funds will be release
to you by the paying bank for immediate payment .it was discovered
during this meeting that no funds has been paid to you all this years
of pursuit.The funds is now ready to be release to you since you have
been approved to receive/claim this compensation payment of $15Million
We have instructions to release your payment to you. Kindly Forward
Your Names,Address,Telephone Number, Next of Kin and Occupation for
the release of your payment.The UN is sorry for the delay of funds
kindly send an email to this email(firstname.lastname@example.org) to get
an immediate response
MR ANTONIO GUTERRES,
SEC.GENERAL UNITED NATIONS.