fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "the consignment" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "consignment " (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "million dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
- contact person: rev father king terry} firstname.lastname@example.org contact the dhl delivery company} email@example.com} (Gmail; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: king terry <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 13:18:48 +0100
Subject: Urgent Attention Dear beneficiary
YOUR CONSIGNMENT BOX worth USD$15 million dollars
This is to bring to your notice that, I have paid the delivery charge
of your CONSIGNMENT BOX worth USD$15 I paid it because the CONSIGNMENT
BOX of USD$15 millions,has less 11 days to expire and when it
expires,the money will go into Government purse.and will cause money
to return, I decided to help you pay the money so that, your
consignment box will not expire,because I know when you get your
USD$15 millions definitely you must pay me back my money and even
compensate me for helping you. Now i want you to contact dhl Delivery
Company with your Full Contact information's,
Copy of your Id.......
so that they can deliver your CONSIGNMENT BOX to your designated
address without any delay. Like i stated earlier, The delivery charges
has been paid but i did not pay their Security Official Keeping
Fees,The only money you will send to them is $100 for their Security
Official Keeping Fees. Below is their Contact Information,
Contact Person: REV FATHER KING TERRY} email@example.com
Contact the DHL Delivery Company} firstname.lastname@example.org} Today to avoid
increase of their
keeping fees and let me know once you receive your consignment Box.
REV. FATHER KING TERRY
Chat with REV FATHER KING TERRY via Whats-App number (+14086756320