fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "death certificate" (this phrase is often used in inheritance scams such as next of kin or https://www.419scam.org/419-murdered-businessman.htm">orphan scams. )
- "may come to you as a surprise" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "to your nominated bank account" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- ",500,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "abidjan" (a location commonly mentioned in 419 scams)
- This email message is a orphan scam.
Fraud email example:
From: Koffi Aya <email@example.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 17:04:08 +0000
Subject: From Koffi
Hello From Koffi
Excuse me for this sudden contact with you today as I believe that
this message may come to you as a surprise, I got your email address
through an online email directory, I really don't know how you will
find my contacts with you, I am a 22 year old girl without any
I am writing you this message with tears and sorrow and I know this
message may come to you as a surprise, Am the only daughter. My father
was a very wealthy cocoa merchant in Abidjan Ivory Coast (CÃ´te
D'ivoire) . My father was poisoned to death by his business associates
on one of their outings on a business trip.
My mother died when I was a baby and since then my father has treated
me so special. Before the death of my father in a private hospital
here in Abidjan he secretly called me on his bed side and told me that
he has the sum of (7,500,000.00) seven million five hundred thousand
US Dollar, in one of the international banks here in Abidjan , he used
my name as his only daughter for the next of Kin in depositing of the
fund. My late father instructed me to seek a foreign partner in a
country of my choice where I will transfer this money and use it for
investment purposes such as real estate management or hotel
Please don't be surprised by my proposal, I was directed to you by
God. I have been in the hotel room since two weeks ago looking for
someone to even trust to contact before I saw your profile On the
My uncle is a drug addict and he did not care about me In 2019 my
uncle sold all my late fathers properties now he has found out that my
late father deposited this fund in the bank with my name as his next
of kin and he is requiring me to follow him to the bank so that he can
have access in my late father Fund, which I can never do that in my
life because this fund is the only thing that I have to set up my
All my intentions now are to transfer these funds out from my country
for investment, I am seriously having a difficult time here, I am
writing this email from a local hotel where I am currently hiding for
All I require from you is to assist me stand as the guardian and
foreign associate of my late father so that the bank will be able to
release the funds to your bank account in your country for investment.
I am honorably seeking your assistance in the following ways:(1) To
provide a bank account in which this money would be transferred to
.(2) To serve as my guardian.(3) To make arrangements for me to come
over to your country to further my education.
I have all the account details which my late father used to deposit
the fund here in the hotel with me and the death certificate of my
Note: I am willing to offer you 20% of the total sum as compensation
for your effort/ input after the successful transfer of this fund to
your nominated bank account. Anticipating hearing from you soon.