fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "please indicate your interest" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "trunk box" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "trunk boxes" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "million united state dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "united state dollar" (this email uses bad English)
- "abidjan" (a location commonly mentioned in 419 scams)
- This email message is a orphan scam.
Fraud email example:
From: "Miss.Esther Gabriel" <email@example.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 08:45:42 -0800
Subject: greetings to you my dearest beloved
Please I need your help and Assistance. Permit me to inform you of my
desire of going into business relationship with you. I am Miss.Esther
Gabriel, the only Daughter of late Mr. and Mrs. Gabriel Kadjo. My father
was a very wealthy cocoa merchant in Abidjan; the economic capital of Ivory
Coast, my father was poisoned to death by his business associates on one of
their outings on a business trip.
My mother died when I was a baby and since then my father took me so
special. Before the death of my father in a private hospital here in
Abidjan he secretly called me on his bed side and told me that he has the
sum of TWENTY FIVE Million United State Dollars (USD. $25.000,000)
deposited in one of the largest security company here in Abidjan, that he
used my name as his only Daughter for the next of Kin in depositing of the
fund to the security company.
He also explained to me that it was because of this wealth that he was
poisoned by his business associates. That I should seek for a good foreign
partner in a country of my choice who will assist me for investment
purpose. And the money is in six 6 trunk boxes there in the security
I am deeply here seeking your assistance in the following ways:
(1) To stand as my late father's foreign partner before the security
company for them to deliver the 6 six trunk boxes that contain the found to
you in your country.
(2) To serve as a guardian of this fund in the trunk box and invest them
into a good business investments that can benefit you and me since I am
only 24 years old girl, I do not have any idea of any business investment!
(3) To make arrangement for me to come over to your country to further my
education/study and to secure a resident permit and my travelling Visa to
come over and stay in your country.
Moreover, I am willing to offer you 50% percent of the total sum as
compensation for your effort/input after the successful delivering of the
trunk boxes from the security company While 50% percent will be for me and
my Education in your country.
Furthermore, please indicate your interest off helping me out for I believe
that this transaction would be concluded within fourteen (14) days from the
day you signify your interest to assist me.
Anticipating to hearing from you soon.