fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "barr." (Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: Rowland <email@example.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 04:27:38 -0800
Subject: anticipaing your response
Investment Funds Transfer of $196 million
I am an attorney ,solicitor/Notary public,I represent a top executive . I
have a private brief from this top executive to ask for your partnership to
manage funds over $196,000,000.00. I will give the details.You/your company
will be the management consultant/ Partner to undertake and handle the
project and manage the funds in your country and other country the top
executive will have interest. You will have 20% of the sum of investment
funds ,and $ 0.5 million advanced to first for contingency and feasibility
soon as we take care MOU execution .
If you are willing to render this assistance quietly, please write back and
provide me with your confidential telephone number, email address and
corporate profile and I will provide further details.
The transfer will be done in Trenches in-line with your country's
/international cash transfers.
Please reply urgently with the following.
Your telephone number:
Company Names/address .account details to transfer the money for
expenditures for this transaction soon as we formalize
Thanks for your kind co-operation.
Kind regards ,
Barr. Obi G. Rowland.