fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "million us dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "cotonou" (a location commonly mentioned in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
- number: +1 917-999-7379 e-mail: ( email@example.com ) e-mail: ( firstname.lastname@example.org ) (Post; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: "Mrs.Janet M. DiFiore" <email@example.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 15:12:55 -0800
Subject: OVERDUE PAYMENT RELEASED. FINALLY,
I AM HON MRS JANET MARIE DIFIORE, THE CHIEF JUDGES NY SUPREME COURT USA.
OVERDUE PAYMENT RELEASED. FINALLY,
IF YOU REALLY WANT TO RECEIVE YOUR FUNDS GET BACK TO US BUT IF YOU
DON'T WANT TO HAVE IT DON'T REPLY BACK!!!
Your massage and information regarding your compensation overdue
payment is well received. Your overdue payment is approved and I will
process your \$10.8 Million US Dollar compensation payment and send it
to you as soon you choose one of our payment option below:
(1) To load your funds in an ATM Card and send it to you will cost you
\$355, you will receive your card within 48 hours.
(2) To send 3 cashier checks to you will cost you \$450, you will
receive your check within 48 hours.
(3) To transfer your \$10.8 Million US Dollars directly to your bank
account will cost you \$550, and it will clear in your bank account
within 72 hours.
(4) To send a fiscal cash payment to your home address through
Diplomatic Expert Delivery Company will cost you \$380, and you will
receive it within 48 hours.
(5) To come over Benin Republic, and receive your compensation payment
will not cost you any money, you will receive your funds free here in
the Origin Country of your funds in West Africa Cotonou Benin
Those are our payment options. You can choose the one you can afford,
to enable processing your compensation payment and send it to you.
Note; that we donât have the legal right to deduct the delivery or
transfer charges from your \$10.8 Million, due to the insurance
Am waiting for you to choose your choice among the 5 payment options here.
Kindly Still Update Us With your full detail:
1. Your Name
2. Your Address
3. Your Private Mobile Number
4. Your Country
Once again, we are sorry for the inconveniences you might have
encountered in the past, in pursuit of your funds. Now that this
office, the Fund Reconciliation Department is involved, you will have
no cause to ever regret again as soon as you adhere to the above given
Mrs.Janet M. DiFiore The Chief Judges New York
Phone number: +1 917-999-7379
E-mail: ( firstname.lastname@example.org )
E-mail: ( email@example.com )
Address: 400 Carleton Ave, Central Islip, NY 11722, USA.