fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: Catholic Church Mission on charity <email@example.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 20:28:31 +0530
Subject: HAPPY NEW YEAR
MAY GOD BLESS YOU AND YOUR HOUSEHOLD. I AM ARCHBISHOP ANDREW COZZENS. I'M
CONTACTING YOU DUE TO THE FACT THAT WE HAVE BEEN HEARING AND ALSO SEEN THAT
THE CHRISTIANS ARE PASSING THROUGH HARD TIMES IN MOST PART OF THE WORLD
ESPECIALLY ASIA AND AFRICA CONTINENTS, BECAUSE THEY ARE MINORITIES. AS A
FOUNDATION ORGANIZED AND COORDINATED BY THE CATHOLIC CHURCH AUTHORITY, WE
HAVE BEEN GIVING HELPING HANDS TO LESS PRIVILEGED, HOMELESS, DESTITUTE,
ORPHANS, DISABLES, PRISON INMATES. SO, ARCHBISHOP ANDREW'S IN AFFILIATION
WITH MOTHER TERESA'S ARCHDIOCESE OF CALCUTTA INDIA PROGRAM: "REACH OUT TO
THE POOR", AND THE REV. FATHERS AND REV. SISTERS DOING GOD'S WORK AND
FOLLOWING THEIR WAYS OF TEACHINGS, IT IS TIME FOR US TO SHOW LOVE TO THE
NEEDY BY GIVING THEM MONETARY ASSISTANCE TO SURVIVE THIS HARD SEASON.
MOTHER TERESA'S ARCHDIOCESE OF CALCUTTA, INDIA WITH OUR ARCHBISHOP ANDREW
AND MINNEAPOLIS CATHOLIC AUTHORITY, RELEASED SOME FUNDS FOR THE OUTREACH
AND EACH PERSON SELECTED IS ENTITLED TO RECEIVE THE SUM OF TWO MILLION
SIXTY-NINE THOUSAND DOLLARS($2,069,000 USD) TO USE FOR CHARITY IN HIS/HER
ENVIRONMENT. BIBLE BOOK OF PROVERB 19 VS 17 SAYS WHOSOEVER IS KIND TO THE
POOR "LENDS TO THE LORD AND THE LORD WILL REWARD THE PERSON FOR WHAT HE/SHE
HAS DONE" I WANT TO SEND TO YOU THIS SUM OF TWO MILLION SIXTY-NINE THOUSAND
DOLLARS($2,069,000USD) AND OTHER ITEMS AND YOU THE BENEFICIARY WILL IN TURN
DO SOME WORKS IN YOUR GEOGRAPHICAL AREAS AND SHOW PICTURES AND EVIDENCES OF
THE CHARITY YOU ARE DOING.
I WANT YOU TO CONTACT FATHER FR. JOHN UBEL, THE RECTOR OF THE CATHEDRAL OF
ST. PAUL SINCE JULY 2012. HE WAS ORDAINED A PRIEST IN 1989 AND HAS SERVED
AS ASSOCIATE PASTOR OF ST. JOSEPH IN WEST ST. PAUL, CO-DIRECTOR OF THE
ARCHDIOCESAN VOCATION OFFICE, CHAPLAIN AT ST. THOMAS ACADEMY IN MENDOTA
HEIGHTS, AND AT THE ST. PAUL SEMINARY SCHOOL OF DIVINITY.
PLEASE KINDLY SEND YOUR DETAILS AS STATED BELOW TO THIS EMAIL ADDRESS: (
YOUR FULL NAME:..............
YOUR MOBILE NO:..............
CONTACT VIA OF THIS EMAIL: ST.PAULFOUNDATION2@GMAIL.COM
MAY THE PEACE OF LORD BE WITH YOU,
ARCHBISHOP ANDREW COZZENS.
ARCHDIOCESE OF SAINT PAUL & MOTHER TERESA'S ARCHDIOCESE.