fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "clearance permit" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "huge amount of money" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "the consignment" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "trunk box" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "consignment " (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "my direct line" (a "direct line" in a scam usually means an untraceable mobile phone number used by a scammer in an internet cafe, a redirection service number that forwards to a mobile or a free voicemailbox in a different country.)
- "the diplomat " ("diplomats" who perform deliveries of cash or other valuables to you only exist in 419 scams)
- "email@example.com" (this email address has been used in a known scam)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: Office Office <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2022 14:52:18 +0100
Subject: UNCLAIMED PACKAGE RELEASED
Operations, Maintenance and Transportation officer.
Miami International Airport 2100 NW 42nd Ave, Miami
FL 33126, United States
My name is David Mogan, I work in a storage facility here in Miami
International Airport FL United States as a stock keeper. If you don't
mind, I wish to share classified information with you which will be of
great help to both of us. Before I proceed, I must seek your utmost
discretion about this vital information that will change our lives forever.
The reason I call this a "classified information" is because any mistake
with regards to this information is capable of kicking me out of job but if
well managed, We will be rich forever so i need to know if I can trust you
enough to reveal this secret to you.
It all happened this morning during my usual routine check here in storage
facility i discovered an abandoned shipment from London belonging to you, A
scan receipt tagged on the consignment box revealed an undisclosed huge
amount of money in a Metal Trunk Box weighing approximately 110LBS (
astrological sign ) With TAG RBT-45C as your consignment code number.
Reading through the file found next to the consignment clearly shows your
consignment was abandoned because the Content of the consignment was not
properly declared by the consignee as "MONEY" rather it was declared as
personal effects to avoid interrogation/security purpose also the inability
of the diplomat to pay for International consignment delivery permit (
I.C.D.P) of $15,650 and the United States Non-Inspection clearance Charges
of $3,700USD totaling $19,350. Currently, Your consignment is still here in
our storage facility waiting to be approved and cleared for final delivery
to you. I write to you today because your email is the ONLY contact
information on this consignment. I will send to you some official legal
receipts found with your consignment which I believe was issued from the
United Nation office in Geneva.
However, to make my final clarification in regards to your delivery, I
advise you to reconfirm your current details for a speedy verification/
delivery of your consignment to your current address. Once that is done, I
will proceed to the clearance department to personally clear your
consignment and proceed to your address for delivery.
KINDLY RE-CONFIRM THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION FOR DELIVERY.
(1) FULL NAMES: _________. (2) DELIVERY ADDRESS: ______.(3) TELEPHONE
NUMBER:______ .(4) COUNTRY: _________.(5) SEX: _______.(6) DATE OF BIRTH:
_______.(7) OCCUPATION: _________
NEAREST INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT: ______
VERY IMPORTANT, Be informed the reason i personally contact you regarding
this abandoned consignment is because I want us to transact this business
and share the money 70% for you and 30% for me since the consignment is
still valid and not returned back to the United States Treasury Department
after being abandoned for a very long time. As soon as i have confirmation
from you, I will personally get $20,000 loan to pay off the International
consignment delivery permit ( I.C.D.P) plus the United States
Non-Inspection Clearance permit of $3,700 then arrange for the box to be
delivered to your address or I can bring it myself to avoid any more
troubles but first, You must assure me of my 30% share before i proceed. I
wait to hear from you urgently if you are still available and ready to
proceed. I will appreciate it if we keep this deal confidential for
For any question please call, text or Whats-app me on my direct line:+1
KINDLY REPLY TO THE BELOW CONTACT FOR MORE DETAILS.
CONTACT PERSON: David Mogan
CELL PHONE: +13234356897
Kindly disregard any email that does not have your Reference Number TAG
RBT-45C. Always include this reference code in any email sent to us.
Chief Inspection Officer