fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "million dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- ",500,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: Safiya Muammar Gaddafi <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2022 12:40:15 +0000 (UTC)
I am Mrs Safiya Muammar Gaddafiâs, and I was married to former Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi, who he is late now Gaddafi was not born in the city itself but in Bou Hadi, a sprawling, largely rural area of farms and large villas on the cityâs outskirts., Maybe you must have heard about him. Gaddafiâs life have gained a grisly status. A spectacle of pain and
humiliation, the end of the man who once styled himself the âking of the kings of Africaâ He was held hostage and slain to death by protesting youths of the region. Before his death we were both devoted Muslim. Since his death I decided not to re marry. When my late husband was alive, he deposited the sum of USD $9,500,000.00(Nine Million Five Hundred Thousand U.S. Dollars) Assurance Firm company. I have been undergoing treatment for my illness of the past years. Am seeking your assistance to receive the sum of US$9.500 MILLION Dollars into a safe account for future investment purposes
A. How I will introduce You/your Company to the holding Assurance Firm and make you the beneficiary of the funds.
Investing our share in your country.
What percentage of the money I am willing to give you for your assistance.
Thank you and kindly respond via my email address:
to me with your:
1. Full names and address.(And company name and address, if any)
2.Private telephone and Fax numbers.
Mrs Safiya Muammar Gaddafi