fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "million united state dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "united state dollar" (this email uses bad English)
- "barrister" (Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.)
- "charles soludo" (the name of a person or institution often appearing in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.
Fraud email example:
From: "Mrs. Kristalina Georgieva" <email@example.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2022 09:19:02 +0100
Subject: INSTRUCTION TO RELEASE YOUR INHERITANCE FUND
YOUR PAYMENT NOTIFICATION
INTERNATIONAL MONETARY FUND (IMF)
INSTRUCTION TO RELEASE YOUR INHERITANCE FUND
This is to intimate you of a very important information which will be of a
great help to redeem you from all the difficulties you have been
experiencing in getting your long overdue payment of $3.5Million United
State Dollars due to excessive demand for money from you by both corrupt
Bank officials and Courier Companies after which your fund remain unpaid to
I am Mrs. Kristalina Georgieva a highly placed official of the
International Monetary Fund (IMF). It may interest you to know that reports
have reached our office by so many correspondences on the uneasy way which
people like you are treated by Various Banks and Courier Companies/
Diplomat across Europe to Africa and Asia /London Uk and we have decided to
put a stop to that and that is why I was appointed to handle your
transaction here in United State.
All Governmental and Non-Governmental prostates, NGOs, Finance Companies,
Banks, Security Companies and Courier companies which have been in contact
with you of late have been instructed to back up from your transaction and
you have been advised NOT to respond to them anymore since the IMF is now
directly in charge of your payment is in United Stated..
The most annoying thing is that the bad officials wont tell you the truth
that on no account will they ever release the fund to you, instead they
allow you spend money unnecessarily, I do not intend to work here all the
days of my life, I can release this fund to you if you can certify me of my
I needed to help you release the fund because you need to know the statues
of your funds and cause for the delay, Please this is like a Mafia setting
in Nigeria, you may not understand it because you are not a Nigerian.
Listed below are the mafia's and banks behind the non release of your funds
that i managed to sneak out for your kind perusal.
PLEASE CHECK AMONG THESE NAMES IF THERE IS ANY ONE AMONG THEN WHO HAVE SCAM
ED YOU, IF YES GET BACK TO ME FOR LEGAL ACTION TO BE TAKEN.
1) Prof. Charles soludo(CBN)
2) Senator David Mark
3) Chief Lamido Sanusi(CBN)
4) John Rob(Barclays bank plc)
5) Mrs Stella Brown(Barclays bank plc)
6) Ronald Franklin
7) Barrister Ucheuzo Williams
8) Mr. Ernest Chukwudi Obi
9) Mr. Mike Jombo
Deputy Governor - Policy / Board Member
10) Mr. Tunde Lemo
Deputy Governor - Financial Sector Surveillance / Board Member
(11) Mrs. W. D. A. Mshelia
Deputy Governor - Corporate Services / Board Members
12) Mrs. Okonjo Iweala
13) Mrs. Rita Ekwesili
You are hereby advised NOT to remit further payment to any institutions
with respect to your transaction as your fund will be transferred to you
directly from our source.
I hope this is clear. Any action contrary to this instruction is at your
own risk. Respond to this e-mail on with immediate effect and we shall
give you further details on how your fund will be released.
Reconfirm the information bellow
1. Full Name:
4. Age: Date of Birth:
6. Phone: Mobile/Cellular
7. State of Origin:
8. Copy of your identity Card
Also Call me as soon as you receive the letter so that you will be given an
immediate response: Direct Hotline:
Mrs. Kristalina Georgieva
I.M.F Head Office