fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: Mr Jerry Allen <email@example.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2022 23:03:39 +0100
United States Postal Service
421 8TH AVE
NEW YORK, NY 10001-9998
This Is United State Postal Service Delivery Company ,The management
of this company, wishes to inform you that, we received a parcel
containing an ATM Master Card valued $10.5 million USD with some
vital documents attached on it, for safety delivery to your home
address in your country, within' the next 48 hrs as soon as we hear
back from you. This is (payment office ) I am directed to inform you
that Your payment verification and confirmations is OK.
This parcel was brought to us this morning by the ATM Card payment
office/United Nation(U.N) as your inheritance approved fund to be
delivered to your residential home address without any delay, so
kindly reconfirm the below information, to avoid delivery your ATM
Master Card to a wrong hand.
Parcel owner address...........
Scan Copy of Your International Passport Or Driver's License. We will
register your package and send you the tracking numbers before we
proceed for safety delivery of your package as soon as you reconfirm
the required information's for safety delivery, POST OFFICE is one of
the world's great success stories, the start-up that revolutionized
the delivery of packages and information. In the past 30 years, we've
grown up and grown into a diverse family of companies as POST OFFICE
that's bigger, stronger, better than ever.
Waiting to read your e-mail on this Email ID Which is :
Mr Jerry Allen