fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a fake lottery scam. Consider the following facts about real lotteries:
- They don't notify winners by email.
- You can't win without first buying a lottery ticket.
- They don't randomly select email addresses to award prizes to.
- They don't use free email accounts (Yahoo, Hotmail, etc) to communicate with you.
- They don't tell you to call a mobile phone number.
- They don't tell you to keep your winnings secret.
- They will never ask a winner to pay any fees to receive a prize!
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Attention !!!!!" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2022 08:43:52 -0800
Subject: Attention Prize Winner
POWERBALL ORGANIZATION LOTTERY HEAD OFFICE.
6 Alex Avenue
Company No: 3490008
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
ASIA UNIT, EUROPEAN UNIT
REFERENCE NUMBER: POB/9087/77
BATCH NUMBER: 09/088/1087/LKOG/TR.
We are pleased to inform you about the E-ballot draw fund that is
found in the profound social email program , in which the primary
source of this program is selected in this year curriculum phase in
2020/2022 prize layout,The POWERBALL ONLINE LOTTERY COMPANY sets out
the sum of $17,000,000.00 USD( sixteen Million USD ) in this year
These arrangement was created as an alliance to different people from
different part of the world and this layout was released to some aged
lucky profiles from 18 years - 90 years in order to improvince the
management of the POWERBALL LOTTERY COMPANY Around the world.
The management of the POWERBALL INAUGURATION have been remarked by so
many authorities to ensure the security of this fund without any form
of fraudulent penetrations and also the international monetary fund
office is also involved in the crediting of this fund.
Participants were selected through a computer ballot system drawn from
2,000 profiles of individuals and companies from all part of the world
as part of our electronic business Promotions Program.
You have therefore been approved for a lump sum pay out of US
$17,000,000.00 USD in cash, which is the winning pay-out for Second
Fill up the Form for your claims
(1) Full name:
(2) Country of origin:
(3) Date of birth:
(4) Contact telephone
(7) Any means of identification e.g driver's license:
Candidates are allowed to provide the required details in order to
commence with the necessary arrangements that need to be done in this
Contact Mobile Number:+447901014478
CONGRATULATIONS ONCE AGAIN!!!