fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Mrs.Esther George" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2022 23:04:40 +0100
Subject: I am willing to donate the sum of Euro 12,500, 000.00
May the peace of the Lord be upon you:
Greetings to you,
Iâm Prof Mrs.Esther H. George A South African Citizen but Married to
Engineer. GEORGE HANNALIE originally from Germany (Europe), Iâm
62-years-old suffering from prolonged cancer of the breast, from all
medical indications my condition has really deteriorated and itâs pretty
obvious that I may not live for more than six months owning to the rapid
growth by stage and the excruciating pain that accrues to it.
My husband died during the Corona-virus (covid-19) pandemic in 2020, and
our long years of marriage were not blessed with children. My husband
was very wealthy and had a Gas / Oil multi-million-dollar business And
many Housing Estates in Europe and in Cape Town (South Africa) After his
death I inherited all his business and funds. My doctor has diagnosed
and told me privately what I should expect, building my spirit for the
inevitable. He says I may not last for more than six months, based on
this I have taken the decision to share part of my funds and wealth in
contribution to the development of the Churches , Mosques and society
with a major focus on the Poor, Needy and Victims of HIV/AIDS, Covid 19
Patients And Cancer Patients.
I selected you after visiting the website having prayed over it, I am
willing to donate the sum of 12, 500, 000.00 Euros (Twelve Million Five
Hundred Thousand Euros) only for your work in developing the Church and
to help the poor, needy, and less privileged among your
congregations/society And also I will give you one housing estates to
handle and manage. Please note that this fund is deposited in a bank in
the country where my husband worked, my lawyer will file the application
for the transfer of this money in your designated name and information,
after my applications and instructions.
The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ and Muhammad the love of God (Allah)
and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you. Finally, I honestly
employ you to make sure that these funds are put to use only for this
purpose, a good one you can agree with me, and remember these are the
demands of a dying woman who has a life in the lord. I now realize that
wealth without life in Christ is vanity and non-sense. Always remember
May the grace and blessings of God be and remain with you.
I shall be awaiting your response.
PLEASE FILL IN THE CLAIM FORM BELOW TO ENABLE THE BANK SPEED UP THIS
TRANSACTIONS NOW TO YOU:
(1) FULL NAME:---------------
(2) DATE OF BIRTH:---------------
(3) MARITAL STATUS:---------------
(5) HOME ADDRESS:---------------
(10) CELL (MOBIL) NO:---------------
(13) PASSPORT / ID COPY:---------------
(14) YOUR ALTERNATIVE EMAIL ADDRESS:---------------
(15) YOU CAN AS BY ATTACHED YOUR BANK ACCOUNT DETAILS FOR IMMEDIATE
RELEASE OF YOUR ENTIRE FUNDS TO YOU WITHIN 1HRS AT ONCE.
KINDLY DO EMAIL ME AT: email@example.com