fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "atm payment department" (this phrase is often used in the ATM card payment scam)
- "atm card department" (this phrase is often used in the ATM card payment scam)
- "swift card payment center" (this phrase is often used in the ATM card payment scam)
- "card center will send you an atm card" (this phrase is often used in the ATM card payment scam)
- "hundred thousand united states dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "dear beneficiary," (this SPAM email was probably sent to thousands of people)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: ATM PAYMENT DEPARTMENT <email@example.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2022 02:52:54 -0800
Subject: CONTACT ATM DEPARTMENT
CONTACT ATM DEPARTMENT
NOW WE HAVE ARRANGED YOUR PAYMENT OF ($8.5M) EIGHT MILLION FIVE HUNDRED
THOUSAND UNITED STATES DOLLARS THROUGH SWIFT CARD PAYMENT CENTER ASIA
PACIFIC, THIS CARD CENTER WILL SEND YOU AN ATM CARD WHICH YOU WILL USE TO
WITHDRAW YOUR MONEY IN ANY ATM MACHINE IN ANY PART OF THE WORLD, BUT THE
MAXIMUM IS SEVEN THOUSAND UNITED STATES DOLLARS PER DAY YOU WILL USE TO
WITHDRAW YOUR MONEY PER DAY. SO IF YOU LIKE TO RECEIVE YOUR FUND IN THIS
WAY, PLEASE LET ME KNOW BY CONTACTING ATM CARD DEPARTMENT CENTER FOR THE
RELEASE YOUR ATM CARD TO YOU AND ALSO SEND THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION AS
YOUR FULL NAME..................
YOUR PHONE NUMBER..............
HOWEVER, KINDLY CONTACT THE BELOW PERSON WHO IS IN POSITION TO RELEASE
YOU â¬ RE ATM PAYMENT CARD.
CONTACT PERSON: MR MIKE GOLD
DIRECTOR, ATM PAYMENT DEPARTMENT
TELL: +234 90 7484 9545
THE ATM CARD PAYMENT CENTER HAS BEEN MANDATED TO ISSUE OUT YOUR PAYMENT
AND YOU HAVE TO STOP ANY FURTHER COMMUNICATION WITH ANY OTHER PERSON(S) OR
OFFICE(s) TO AVOID ANY HITCHES IN RECEIVING YOUR PAYMENT. NOTE THAT
BECAUSE OF IMPOSTORS, WE HERE BY ISSUED YOU OUR CODE OF CONDUCT, WHICH IS
(ATM-8411) SO YOU HAVE TO INDICATE THIS CODE WHEN CONTACTING THE CARD
CENTER BY USING IT AS YOUR SUBJECT.
ATM PAYMENT DEPARTMENT