fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: "Benjamin Tariq" (may be fake)
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2022 12:01:15 -0800
Subject: Attention fund owner:184.108.40.206
Federal Reserve Bank of New York
33 liberty st, New York
NY 10045, United States
Attention fund owner:
The federal reserve bank of New York writes to inform you that some Fund has been approved by the World Bank organization and presidency Union to be received by you as form of compensation for being a scam Victim in the past years or covid-19 affected.
Note: you are requested to confirm your valid information so as to enable the bank reach out to you and be sure we are dealing with the affected person or the family.
Confirm below information;
1) Complete name as stated on your id card:
2) Phone number or whatsapp number:
4) Id card for verification:
Your urgent response is welcomed as we are open to receive any question that may disturb you.