fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "abidjan" (a location commonly mentioned in 419 scams)
- "god fearing " (scammers in West Africa like to use religious phrases)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: Molinta Nkoroh <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2022 11:59:48 +0100
Subject: Assalamu alaikum
I am Mrs. MOLINTA NKOROH, from Canada, Aging widow suffering from
long illness. I am currently admitted in a private hospital here in
Abidjan, CÃ´te d' Ivoire, I have some funds I inherited from my late
loving husband Mr. Canon David. The amount of U.S. $ 6.500, 000.00
which he deposited in one of the bank here and I need an honest and
God fearing person that have the feelings of the man who can use these
funds for the work of God and 15% of the total funds will be for your
compensation for the work of God. Please if you can be able to use
these funds for the Lord's work kindly reply.
The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ the love of God and the
communion of the Lord be gentle with you and your family Amen?
Hoping to receive your reply. God bless you.
Your sister in the Lord.
Mrs. MOLINTA NKOROH,