fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: US BANK PLC <email@example.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2022 01:50:30 -0800
Subject: US BANK PLC
US Bank Plc
324 Royal Palm Way, Palm Beach, FL 33480,
SWIFT (US): USBKUS44XXX
Founded: United States of America
Hours: Open 24 Hours
For Your Information:
After today's board meeting of the Treasury, the United States
Department of the Treasury, the IRS, the Reserve Bank and the World
Bank Directorate it was gathered that the overdue compensation fund
worth US $ 25 Million has We have been depositing this bank for onward
payment. The reason for this is because of the scam victims that lost
a lot of money to African and European Fraudsters,
You are hereby advised to stop all the time and you will end up at nothing.
RE-CONFIRM YOUR BELOW DETAILS.
Your Full Name__
Your Residential Address__
Your Sex / Age____
Telephone / Fax __
Next of Kin____
The US bank will immediately remit your account once I reconfirm your
banking details.For further details and assistance on this Remittance
Notification, kindly forward your FULL NAME AND CONTACT ADDRESS,
TELEPHONE and FAX NUMBERS directly to this mail box
Your utmost response is needed to proceed with your payment.
We are looking forward to hear from you.
Thank you for choosing US Bank.
MR RICK RUZZI
Executive Region Manager