fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "dear friend" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "million us dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2022 07:27:42 +0000
Subject: Gift/Business Support
My name is Farid Harum Izzati. I am a successful legal practitioner (Property lawyer) born in Brunei but based in Malaysia. Iâm a gay .I was unfortunate to be born in a nation that is perceived to enforce torture, lengthy prison terms and even the death penalty against gay person. However, I came across your details on the internet while searching for a genuine person or organisation to assist me to achieve my goals in life support Gay rights internationally through campaigns, training, advocacy and resources. I was diagnosed of Leukaemia (Cancer of the blood), and I have covid19 and I am presently in the end of life ward. It will be in my interest to transfer this fund worth $50,000,000.00 (Fifty Million US Dollars)to you for the above purposes and you can invest some of the money to your choice of business. Please see attached my Identity card/picture.If you are interested and ready to assist for this charity work please kindly contact my accountant. See her details below:
Name Sonia Jing
Company :Reex Finance