fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "power of attorney" (with your bank details and a power of attorney form criminals sometimes empty bank accounts)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: Glen Walter <email@example.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2022 07:02:33 +0000
Subject: Attention Beneficiary
GOOD NEWS FROM UNITED NATION ATM CARD CENTER OFFICE
Mr Glen Walter UN Specail Delivery AGENT
1775 K Street, NW, Suite 500
Washington, DC 20006
How are you today? hope all is right with you; Please I advised that
you should read this email message very carefully and urgently get
back to me immediately to avoid wrong delivery of your overdue
inheritance unpaid NET WEST ATM CARD fund worth of $4.8 Million USD
presently at our custody United Nation.
But we are having misunderstanding because a lady by name Mrs. Delores
Olea, from United States of America called our Office on Friday
stating that she is your new next of kin that you have given her the
power of attorney to claim your unpaid ATM CARD Fund worth of $4.8
Million USD, she clearly informed our Office that you have instructed
her to receive the funds on your favor that you are greatly Will which
makes it impossible for you to ask all our calls and email to you so
far that you cannot work or answer any calls due your presently health
Executive Board of Director Federal Ministry of Finance World are
currently and so confuse about her claim that is why the authority
instructed me to contact you for us to know if she is telling us the
truth or not to avoid delivering of your unpaid fund worth of $4.8
Million USD to unexpected person as we have no clue about this person
Mrs. Delores Olea.
After she provided this info to us, she instructed us not to bother or
disturbed ourselves by contacting you because you cannot access your
email presently due to your present health condition that we should
deliver the funds to her provided information directly because she is
now acting on your behalf. If you still interested of this ATM CARD
fund kindly reconfirm your directly information to us urgent to avoid
wrong delivery such as okay.
1. Your Full Name:=======
2. Your Telephone No:====
3. Your Country:=========
4. Your Home Address:====
5. Your occupation======
6. Your Nearest airport:==
We wait to hear from you soon Don't keep us waiting for your own good.
contact the AGENT office for more information on how to get your fund
phone.... +1 850-807-9979
UN Special Delivery Agent