fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "dear beloved," (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "might come to you as a surprise" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "remain blessed" (scammers in West Africa like to use religious phrases)
- This email message is a "dying widow" scam.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (Yahoo; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
- mrs. patricia jane desserich. firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com (Yahoo; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: "Mrs. Patricia Jane Desserich." <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2022 15:52:10 -0800
Subject: Dearest one in the Lord
Dearest one in the Lord!!
It is my pleasure to write to you after considering your profile. My name
is Mrs. Patricia Jane Desserich, a national of the United States of
America. I am married to Mr.Howard Desserich, a business mogul and an
engineer with Stallion Petroleum Corporation, who died in the year 2010
after a brief illness that lasted for only four days. We lost our only
daughter to an auto crash 7 years ago. These are incidents that hurt my
feelings but I kept my faith as a born again Christians.
I inherited a sum of $18.5 million (Eighteen Million Five Hundred Thousand
U.S. Dollars) with a BANK in America from my late husband, Presently, this
money is still with the BANK. My dear beloved, this message might come to
you as a surprise. However, the holy spirit instructed me to get a partner,
which made me to contact you for this urgent transaction for the work of
Recently,my illness got worse. My Doctor told me that I would not last for
the next one or two months due to a long term cancer problem. Though what
disturbs me most is my stroke. Having known my condition I decided to
donate this fund to church or better still a Christian individuals that
will utilize this money the way I am going to instruct herein. I want you
to use this fund for churches, orphanages, Research centers and widows
propagating to the word of God and to ensure that the house of God is
The Bible made us understand that blessed is the hand that gives. I took
this bold decision because I donât have any child that will inherit this
money and my husbandâs relatives are not Christians and I donât want my
family's hard earned money to be misused by unbelievers. I donât want a
situation where this money will be used in an ungodly manners. Hence the
reason for taking this bold decision.
I am not afraid of death hence I know where I am going. I know that I am
going to be in the bosom of the Lord.Exodus 14 VS 14 says that the lord
will fight my case and I shall hold my peace. With God all things are
possible.As soon as I receive your reply I shall detail you more and I will
give the contact of the BANK as soon as I am sure that you will do the will
of God. I will also issue you a letter of authority that will empower you
as the new beneficiary of this Fund. I want you to always pray for me
because the lord is my Shepherd. My happiness is that I lived the life of a
Whoever that wants to serve the Lord must serve him in spirit and truth.
Please always be prayerful all through your life. Any delay in your reply
will give me room in sourcing for a church or Christian individual for this
same purpose. Please assure me that you will act accordingly as I stated
Hoping to hear from you soon.
Remain blessed in the name of the Lord.
Mrs. Patricia Jane Desserich.