fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "atm card department" (this phrase is often used in the ATM card payment scam)
- "hundred thousand united state dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "united state dollar" (this email uses bad English)
- "courier service" (Courier companies mentioned in 419 scams are always fake. They will have you send money to them, but won't deliver anything. )
- "courier company" (Courier companies mentioned in 419 scams are always fake. They will have you send money to them, but won't deliver anything. )
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: WOODFOREST NATIONAL BANK <email@example.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2022 14:54:37 -0800
Notification of payment by ATM Master Credit Card
We hereby officially notifying you about the present arrangement to pay you,
your over due Winning Prize/inheritance fund which you couldn't complete the
process of the released of your transfer pin code through the Digitized Payment
System. We have decided to pay your funds through (ATM Master Express Credit
Card) This arrangement was initiated/constituted by the World Bank, United
Nation and Paris Club. Due to fraudulent activities going on around the world.
The World Bank, United Nations and Paris Club introduced this payment
arrangement as to enable our Contract, Winning Prize,inheritance beneficiary
to receive their fund without any interference. the ATM Master Express Credit
Card was contracted and powered by GOLD CARD WORLD WIDE.
The ATM MASTER EXPRESS CARD is credited with the sum of
$5,500.000.00 USD (Five Million Five Hundred Thousand United State Dollars),
it is already loaded in the ATM Master Card which you can use to access your
fund in any ATM Stand/location worldwide and remember that the maximum
withdrawal daily limit is Ten Thousand United States Dollars(US$10,000.00) we
have concluded delivery arrangement with the below courier service companies
and their delivery time is stated below.
ULG = 24HRS/$200.00
This company works with the United Nations Envoy and the world wide total lock
down due to the covid19 will not affect their delivery time.
DESCRIPTION OF PARCEL:
ATM card/original certificate of weight :ââ0.20kg
Bonded draft of weight :ââââââ0.17kg
Total weight of parcel :âââââââ0.37kg
Color of Parcel :âââââââââ-Dark Brown
Length of days :ââââââââââ24hours
Delivery Type:ââââââââââ-Premium Service
Delivery Status:ââââââââââVirtual Pending
Your parcel contains the following documents:
Contact the ATM CARD Department
Mrs. Susan Graham
Email to contact:(firstname.lastname@example.org).
Kindly provide me with the below details in your response to the my
email and let me know which courier company you would want us to
use for the shipping of your ATM Card to your home address as you
will provide below.
1. Valid Delivery Address:
2. Full Names:
3. Phone Number:
7. Preferred courier service for shipping;
Understand that you will be liable for the delivery fee of your ATM Master
Express Card to you with any of the above courier service company.
CONGRATULATIONS IN ADVANCE.
James D Dreibelbis "Jay", Managing Director