fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "from the desk of" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "inheritance funds" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "million united state dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "million dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "united state dollar" (this email uses bad English)
- "foreign remittance department" (Banks mentioned in 419 scams are always fake (real banks don't communicate using mobile phones or free webmail addresses))
- "central bank of nigeria" (the name of a person or institution often appearing in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Mr. Edwards Ellis" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2022 01:36:51 -0800
From The Desk Of Dr.Godwin Emefiele.
CEO/Central Bank of Nigeria ( CBN )
Tinubu Sqare,P.M.B.12194,Lagos Island,Lagos,Nigeria.
CONTRACT #: MAV/NNPC/FGN/MIN/013,
Foreign Remittance Department.
YOUR FUND APPROVED PAYMENT OF $25,000,000.00 (TWENTY FIVE MILLION
DOLLARS THROUGH ATM CARD)
I am Dr.Godwin Emefiele,The CEO of Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) I am
contacting you today to alert you of a notification which will be a
great help to you,I am the new director of fund approved payment
department here in CBN and I saw a file last week in your name with
all your information from our central computer stating that abandoned
fund worth of $25,000,000,00 (Twenty Five Million United state
Dollars) belongs to you.
Please;I want to know from you the reason why you abandoned such big
fund here in our bank for long up til this moment without any claim by
you. I hereby officially notifying you about the present arrangement
to pay you as i have been appointed and directed to take in-charge of
your fund payment here in my department,This arrangement was
initiated/constituted by the World Bank and the International Monetary
Fund (IMF) during.
The board meeting due to fraudulent and scam activities going on
within the African Region,I officially contacted you today because
your Inheritance Funds was Redeposited into the "Federal Suspense
Account" of CBN last week because you did not proceed with your Claim
as the rightful beneficiary which is well known to the board and
management team of Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN)
I am now in charge of your fund payment in my department here in
Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) and like i stated in my mail that your
name appear in our Central Computer here as a beneficiary who have not
receive his contract payment for long,Be informed that your fund of
$25,Million Dollars has been approved by the IMF and the federal
government for payment and we have decided to convert your fund into
an (ATM CARD )which we will send to you in your country for the
withdraw of your fund in any ATM machine in your country.
To make it easy for your payment in other to avoid much expenses in
receiving your fund and we have made every arrangement regarding your
payment through ATM Card since last week Due to the instruction given
to us for your immediate payment.
You are hereby to quickly respond back to my department today and
provide or reconfirm to me your personal information once again where
you base right now and your home address where you desire to receive
your ATM CARD to avoid mistake during the delivery for us to quickly
submit your ATM CARD together with your current residential address
for the delivery to your Home in other for you to receive it and start
making a withdraw of your fund in any ATM machine in your country,This
is the conclusion and agreement of your fund
Payment here in our bank. The information required from you for the
delivery of your ATM CARD is such as below.
Your Full Name:.................
Your Country And Location:..................
Current Home Address:.........................
Private Telephone Number:...............
A Copy Of Your Id Card:........
Kindly provide the following information and respond back to my
department today as I will be waiting to hear from you as soon as
possible with the required information for the proceed and delivery of
your ATM CARD to your country where you desire to receive it.
CEO/Central Bank Of Nigeria (CBN)