fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "high court" (Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.)
- "federal high court" (This court is often mentioned in '419' scams to give the victim a reason why he/she should send thousands of dollars to the scammers. A 'Federal High Court' exists in Germany and Nigeria, but not in other countries, such as the UK, Spain, Netherlands, Senegal, Benin, South Africa or other countries where fake lawyers in scams often claim to be based. )
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
- gift card $25 send it with the receipt to this email (email@example.com) go to any walmart store get google play card or steam (Gmail; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: ilega <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2021 17:35:59 -0800
Subject: England United Kingdom
I am Mr. Austin William from United Kingdom London, I was directed by
HSBC & Chase Bank of UK in collaboration with Reserve Bank of South
Africa to pay the sum of Â£54,000,000.00 to you as a compensation fund
due to many fund transaction you were engaged in the past and spent
your hard earn money, efforts and finally did not receive the fund.
the Federal High Court Of Justice has signed your HSBC & Chase Bank of
UK Transfer Papers and the only money you will pay is Â£25.or $25 for
the signing of it which means your transfer will start tomorrow
morning.The daily transfer of your until your sum of Â£54,000,000.00 is
completely transferred to you.I am here to swear to you that your Bank
Wire Transfer to any of your nominated bank account of the sum of
Â£54,000,000.00 daily transfer will be on its way today or saltest
tomorrow morning once we confirm the Â£25 or $25 from you which is for
the Federal High Court Of Justice South Africa for signing of your
HSBC & Chase Bank of UK Transfer Papers.
BUY APPLE STORE OR AMERICAN EXPRESS OR NORDSROM OR SEPHORA OR GOOGLE
PLAY CARD OR STEAM WALLET or iTunes gift card
$25 SEND IT WITH THE RECEIPT TO THIS EMAIL (email@example.com)
Go to any Walmart Store get Google play card or Steam Wallet Card or
iTunes Card and buy any of this cards $25 send the picture of the card
with to my email (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Kindly respond to this message in order to direct you how you receive
the fund by Bank Wire Transfer to any of your nominated bank account
within 2 days without any further delay.
I look forward to receive your urgent response.
England United Kingdom