fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "await your urgent response" (scammers rush victims so they don't have time to think properly)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: Brian Thomas Moynihan <email@example.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2021 12:34:37 -0800
Subject: attention dear beneficiary
WELCOME TO BANK OF AMERICA HEADQUARTERS.
ADDRESS: 100 NORTH TRYON STREET CHARLOTTE,
NC 28255-0001 U.S.A
Attn Dear Esteem Customer,
Your total SCAM COMPENSATION FUNDS worth $11 Million USD
is waiting to be credited to your account for ONLINE BANKING transfer
as soon as we hear back from you with your contact details such as,
1. Your Full Name ====
2. Your Residential Address ===
3. Your Private Mobile Phone Number===
4. Your direct telephone Number====
5. Your private Email address ===
6. Your other Email addresses====
7. Your Next of kin Email address===
8. Your next of Kin Phone Number===
9. Sex/ age===
Thanks for banking with us
I await your urgent response.
MR. BRIAN T. MOYNIHAN
BRIAN MOYNIHAN, PRESIDENT, CEO AND CHAIRMAN
BANK OF AMERICA HEADQUARTERS,NC.