fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "western union" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "mtcn" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "million us dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "barrister" (Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.
- Western Union money transfer is completely untraceable and therefore is *not* safe to use with anyone you do not know personally. It is the preferred method of online criminals to collect money from their victims.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
Fraud email example:
From: "Mrs. Shalla Bruce" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2021 15:13:27 +0100
Subject: Attention Beneficiary
This message is from Federal ministry of finance office under the
(ECOWAS ) we are to let you know that We have finally concluded with
(ECOWAS ) of Africa Republic of Benin to release your payment worth
$3.5Million US Dollars to you through Western Union which total
payment going to be receive each day is $5,000.00 and First payment
has been send: First # MTCN 196-882-2120 but you have to (Re-new Your
Payment File) today before you will receive it
I told him to keep sending you $5,000.00 daily until the payment of
$3.5Million US Dollars is completed, again re-confirm your address to
avoid sending it to wrong person, so that they will be sure;
A copy of your Id....
Please find below, your information to pick up the first sent $5,000
USD and upon pick up by you, another detail we be sent again and I
want you to track
https://www.westernunion.com/global-service/track-transfer you will
see that the money is there
Use the below info to pick up your money now.
MTCN ::::::::::#MTCN 196-882-2120
Amount: $5,000 USD
Call .Mr.Judge ibrahima Johnson on this number +22969457855 once you
are back from Western Union. Contact Barrister Mr.Judge ibrahima
Contact Mr Judge ibrahima Johnson, immediately through his above email
address to give you Sender Name & Question and Answer to pick up your
money today and let me know when you confirm it all.Thank you,
Mrs. Shalla Bruce