fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "money gram" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "mtcn" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- ",500,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "you are advise to" (this email uses bad English)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: MR KINGSLEY JERRY <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2021 12:03:17 +0100
Subject: Confirm If You Are (DEAD) or (ALIVE) to claim $7,500,000 million?
Merry Christmas My Dear
Confirm If You Are real (ALIVE) to claim your $7,500,000 million?
Your first payment of $7000 usd Is about to send today through Money
Gram Money transfer You are advise to Contact Rev. TONY MIKE with your
full information.such as Please Call and ask the ( available MTCN
612-635-112* ) Number,
sender name, question and answer to pick up the $7000.00. Also you
should send to him your information to cross check it to avoid
mistake ok transaction Code 243:cstc:106:33028
Your phone number..
To Enable him to send your First Payment of $7000 usd today.For more
information contact Rev. TONY MIKE. Telephone number: WHATSAPP
Email ( email@example.com ) he will keep sending your payment until
your total fund is Completed ($7,5Million USD) This is to avoid wrong
transaction and let us know once you receive your Payment $7000 usd
Depositor:MR KINGSLEY JERRY