fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "united state dollar" (this email uses bad English)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
Fraud email example:
From: "firstname.lastname@example.org" <email@example.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2021 13:42:50 -0800
Subject: Attn, Beneficiary
Good day, This notification is coming to you Form Dhl Office
We have a package with your name on it, but unfortunately the
address is missing.
We therefore need you to complete the missing delivery address as
soon as possible.
Your tracking number is
F581266GB,OR contact our office DIRECTOR Mr David Johnson whatsapp
For Releasing Of your $3.5 Millions united state dollars, Complete
your address here
(1) YOUR FULL NAME.............
(2) CONTACT ADDRESS............
(5) PRIVATE PHONE NUMBER ............
(6) NEXT OF KIN..............
(7) VALID I D CARD ..........
(8) COUNTRY AND CITY .........
Customer Care <..