fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "the consignment" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "trunk box" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "consignment " (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "the diplomat " ("diplomats" who perform deliveries of cash or other valuables to you only exist in 419 scams)
- "a diplomat " ("diplomats" who perform deliveries of cash or other valuables to you only exist in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Mr.Hopper Robert" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2021 15:23:32 +0800
Subject: Your Abandoned Package For Delivery..
Robert M. Hopper
Interim Assistance General Manager,
Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport
285 Rodgers Pepper Lane,
Dallas,Texas 75243, USA
Tel: +1 409-527-3709
Re: Your Abandoned Package For Delivery
I have very vital information to give to you, but first I must have
your trust before I review it to you because it may cause me my job,so
I need somebody that I can trust for me to be able to review the
secret to you.
I am Mr. Robert M. Hopper, head of luggage/baggage storage facilities
(Operations,Maintenance,Transportation) here at the Dallas/Fort Worth
International Airport USA. During my recent withheld package routine
check at the Airport Storage Vault, I discovered an abandoned shipment
from a Diplomat from Africa and when scanned it revealed an
undisclosed sum of money in a Metal Trunk Box weighing approximately
110kg. The consignment was abandoned because the Contents of the
consignment was not properly declared by the consignee as âMONEYâ
rather it was declared as personal effect to avoid interrogation and
also the inability of the diplomat to pay for the United States Non
Inspection Charges which is $3,700USD. On my assumption the
consignment is still left in our Storage House here at the Dallas/Fort
Worth International Airport till date. The details of the consignment
including your name, your email address and the official documents
from the United Nations office in Geneva are tagged o
!! the Trunk box.
However, to enable me confirm if you are the actual recipient of this
consignment as the assistant director of the Inspection Unit, I will
advise you provide your current Phone Number and Full Address, to
enable me cross check if it corresponds with the address on the
official documents including the name of nearest Airport around your
city. Please note that this consignment is supposed to have been
returned to the United States Treasury Department as unclaimed
delivery due to the delays in concluding the clearance processes so as
a result of this, I will not be able to receive your details on my
official email account. So in order words to enable me cross check
your details, I will advise you send the required details to my
private email address for quick processing and response. Once I
confirm you as the actual recipient of the trunk box, I can get
everything concluded within 48hours upon your acceptance and proceed
to your address for delivery.
Lastly, be informed that the reason I have taken it upon myself to
contact you personally about this abandoned consignment is because I
want us to transact this business and share the money 70% for you and
30% for me since the consignment has not yet been returned to the
United States Treasury Department after being abandoned by the
diplomat so immediately the confirmation is made, I will go ahead and
pay for the United States Non Inspection Fee of $3,700 dollars and
arrange for the box to be delivered to your doorstep Or I can bring it
by myself to avoid any more trouble but you have to assure me of my
I wait to hear from you urgently if you are still alive and I will
appreciate if we can keep this deal confidential. Please get back to
me via my private Email (email@example.com)for further
You can call me on my telephone number and drop a message at +1 409-527-3709
Robert M. Hopper