fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "you are advise to" (this email uses bad English)
- "courier service" (Courier companies mentioned in 419 scams are always fake. They will have you send money to them, but won't deliver anything. )
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: Dominic R <email@example.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2021 07:49:10 -0800
Subject: ATTENTION BENEFICIARY.
We have finalize all the necessary arrangement
and your fund ($3.5 MILLIONS USD) has been approve by the board of
directors of (US FRB) your payment order by Automated Teller Machine
(ATM) Card System has been successfully processed today and the US(3.5
MILLIONS USD) has been loaded into an ATM Card
sent today ATM visa card.You are advise to Contact atm office today,We
have concluded delivery arrangement with DHL COURIER SERVICE, to be
fully insured by Nice Insurance Corporation
You are advised that a maximum value of (3.5 MILLIONS USD)is
permitted on withdrawal per day with a minimum of $20,000 per
withdrawal and we are duly inter switched, meaning you can make
withdrawal in any location and ATM Center of your choice, so send your
full information today
Dr Mark Williams