fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- ",500,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "remain blessed" (scammers in West Africa like to use religious phrases)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: "Mr. Michael Wood" <email@example.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2021 14:40:20 -0800
Subject: Welcome To US Bank,Branch Dallas TX(R).
Welcome To US Bank,Branch Dallas TXÂ®.
Address: 650 S Griffin St C Hall, Dallas, TX 75202, United State
REF: FILE NO, UN-JKRM0X5At
the United Nations 73rd General Assembly (UNGA 72) meeting held on
18th September 2021 at its headquarters in New York City United
States, a total funds of $20,189,500,505.00 was declared by the UN
Financial Crimes Commission as funds recovered from fraudulent
schemes. These Funds were recovered from various governments and
anti-fraud entities Around the world from accounts connected to
embezzlement and other Fraudulent practices.
United Nations decided to use the funds as compensation to Around the
world, compensation was allocated based on countries. We are happy to
inform you that you have been nominated among the lucky beneficiaries
here according to the analysis by evaluation office you are to receive
sum of $11,500,000.00 USD from total amount alongside others, We are
pleased to be at your service.US BANKÂ® is Regulated and Stipulated by
the Funds transfer Service world-wide, We would like to inform you
that you will be receiving your payment transfer soon after clearance
However, we have only two options for this outstanding payment and you
have been mandated to comply by informing us on which option would be
more appreciative by you, hence our job is to ensure that we give any
of our customer the best of service. Kindly choose from the two
options outlined below:
A. BANK TO BANK WIRE TRANSFER
B. ELECTRONIC FUNDS TRANSFER (EFT)
Reconfirmation of your full personal profile details listed below.
Your full Names-----------
Current Phone number#-----------
Inline with the 7 bank working days given to us to complete this
transfer, we advise you do not delay in responding back to our mails
so as to enable us manage the time limited to us...Revert to this Bank
Authority immediately after reading via E-mail. Thank you for using US
BANKÂ®, Our Priority is your satisfaction and your favorable and timely
response will be very much appreciated, I await your prompt response,
thanks and remain blessed.
Mr. Michael Wood
US Bank,Branch Dallas TXÂ®: