fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: Michael Corbat <email@example.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2021 10:44:15 -0500
Subject: Willa Online Money Transfer Service INC
Willa Online Money Transfer Service Co. Inc
( Most Reliable & Fastest
U.S. Based Online Money Transfer Service )
Location : Glenstone Dr SE Grand Rapids , Michigan USA
Greetings, Please note that after our official verification through
our payment database, your name and other vital information was
confirmed okay as the beneficiary of this payment instrument.
However, I wish to inform you that you will receive your funds through
our corresponding bank Citibank group Illinois, United States where
the bank will set up an online bank account for you to transfer your
funds to your local bank coordinate. Based on the above, you stand to
be paid the sum of $19.6 Million and we are working together with the
Interpol to make it done timely.
We have verified your payment file and as soon as we hear back from
you, we will update you on our payment modalities prior to the release
of your fund accordingly.
Furthermore, you're hereby advised to contact Citibank group Illinois,
United States immediately via their below operational Channel email
Contact person: Michael Corbat
Bank Name: Citibank Group
Bank Address: 1218 Connecticut Ave NW, Washington, DC 20036, United States
Email Address: ( firstname.lastname@example.org )
Telephone Number: + 1-(202) 681-5273
Please, be sure to send me every copy of messages up to date
correspondence you will receive from the paying bank Citibank Group
Illinois, United States for official record purposes as soon as you
start communication with the paying bank. We anticipate your urgent
Yours in Service
Mr Jeffery Morris
Public Relation Department
Willa Online Money Transfer Service INC