fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "transferred into your bank account" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "hundred thousand united states dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- ",500,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: Jerome H Powell <email@example.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 23:42:11 -0800
Subject: Attention Beneficiary,
Federal Reserve System New York, United States of America.
Address: 33 Liberty St, New York, NY 10045.
Your payment files from these three (3) different banks (CITI BANK,
WELLS FARGO AND BANK OF AMERICA) was compiled and submitted to my desk
for a review. The total sum owed to you by these 3 banks mentioned
above was sum up to the tune of US$18,500,000.00 (Eighteen Million
Five Hundred Thousand United States Dollars). Now the funds was lodged
in our Escrow Account (which can never be deducted) here in the
Federal Reserve Bank New York on your name, while waiting for
accreditation to your personal bank account.
After verification I confirmed that you have fulfilled all the
necessary obligations that will enable the release of your payment to
you, but yet your payment was not released to you due to one flimsy
excuses or the orders from the Bank officials in charge of your
payment, because they had the intention of diverting your funds to
their private accounts in order to satisfy their selfish interest. But
right now your fund is under insurance coverage and as a result of
this, no charge will be deducted from your fund until your Eighteen
Million, Five Hundred Thousand United States Dollars,(US
$18,500,000.00) is been transferred into your bank account wholesomely
without been tampered by any person or office.
You are also lucky that we the management of the US Federal Reserve
Bank detected their evil plans and therefore call for the submission
of your payment file here in Federal Reserve System here in New York
so we can personally handle the payment assignment to ensure that you
receive your funds accordingly, secondly the US TREASURY DEPARTMENT
emailed us to forward to every unclaimed funds in this Bank.
All modalities regarding your fund release has been put in place here
in the Reserve Bank of America, thus, your funds has been made ready
for transfer in our sophisticated Macro Transfer System, what we need
from you now is to provide to us the bank account of your choice which
you want us to transfer your funds so we can expedite action for the
accreditation of your funds into your account immediately.
PLEASE SUBMIT YOUR BANK DETAILS IF YOU RECEIVE THIS EMAIL TODAY,
BECAUSE YOUR MONEY WILL BE TRANSFERRED TO YOU ONCE YOU GIVE US THE
ACCOUNT TO TRANSFER YOUR MONEY.
RECONFIRM THESE BELOW INFORMATION SUCH AS:
a) FULL NAME_________
b) HOME ADDRESS_________
d) PHONE NUMBER_______
NOTE: HERE IS EMAIL TO CONTACT; firstname.lastname@example.org
Mr. Jerome H. Powell,
Chairman, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System,