fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- The following fake company names, fake addresses, non-existent institutions/documents or other details have appeared in scams before:
- "international lottery programme" (no such lottery exists)
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "fiduciary agent" (real lotteries do not use a "claim agent" / "fiduciary agent")
- "claims agent" (real lotteries do not use a "claim agent" / "fiduciary agent")
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a fake lottery scam. Consider the following facts about real lotteries:
- They don't notify winners by email.
- You can't win without first buying a lottery ticket.
- They don't randomly select email addresses to award prizes to.
- They don't use free email accounts (Yahoo, Hotmail, etc) to communicate with you.
- They don't tell you to call a mobile phone number.
- They don't tell you to keep your winnings secret.
- They will never ask a winner to pay any fees to receive a prize!
- Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: AUSTRALIA LOTTO <email@example.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 20:20:45 -0800
Subject: CONGRATULATION, CLAIM YOUR PRIZE ($1,200,000.00) DOLLARS !!!
AUSTRALIA LOTTO LOTTERY INC.
ELECTRONIC MAIL AWARD WINNING NOTIFICATION
AWARD PRESENTATION CENTER : AUSTRALIA
Winning no: KB8701/LPRC
We are delighted to inform you of your prize release on the 29th
November, 2021 from the Australian International Lottery programmer.
Which is fully based on an electronic selection of winners using their
e-mail addresses , your name was attached to ticket number 575061725
8056490902 serial number 6741137002 batch number 8056490902/188.
This batch draws the lucky numbers as follows 4-13-33-37-42bonus
number 17, which consequently won the lottery in the second category.
You hereby have been approved a lump sum of US$1,200,000.00 (DOLLARS)
in cash credit file ref ILP/HW 47509/02 from the total cash prize of
US$9,600,000.00(NINE MILLION SIX HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS) , shared
among eight lucky winners in this category.
All participants were selected through a computer balloting system
drawn from Nine hundred thousand E-mail addresses from Canada ,
Australia , United state, Europe,
Middle East, Africa and Oceania as part of our international
promotions program which is conducted annually.
This Lottery was promoted and sponsored by conglomerate of some
multinational companies as part of their social
responsibility to the citizens in the communities where they have
We hope with part of your prize, you will participate in our end of
year high stakes for US$1.3 Billion international draw.
HOW TO CLAIM YOUR PRIZE, Simply contact Our fiduciary agent, NAME:
MR.BARRISTER WILLIAMS MOORE EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org
to file for your claim.
Please quote your reference, batch and winning number which can be
found on the top left corner of this notification as well as your full
name, address and telephone number as to help us locate your file
For security reasons, we advice all winners to keep this information
confidential from the public until your claim is processed and your
prize released to you.
This is part of our security protocol to avoid double claiming and
unwarranted taking advantage of this of this programmer by
non-participant or unofficial personnel.
Note, all winnings MUST be claimed on or before 30 DAYS AFTER YOU HAVE
RECEIVED YOUâRE WINNING INFORMATION.
Otherwise all funds will be returned as Unclaimed and eventually
donate to charity.
Congratulations, once more from the entire Management and Staff of
AUSTRALIA L.LOTTERY Cooperation to all our lucky winners this year.
Thank you for being part of this promotional lottery program.
Mrs. LISA ADDISSON
PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL.CONTACT YOUR CLAIMS AGENT:
email@example.com BREACH OF CONFIDENTIALITY ON THE
PART OF THE WINNERS WILL RESULT TO DISQUALIFICATION.
MANAGEMENT, AUSTRALIA LOTTO LOTTERY INC.