fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "million dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- ",500,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "united state of america" (this email uses bad English)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: "mrs.sophia.robin" <email@example.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 00:29:08 +0100
Subject: Hello My Dearest
im Mrs.Sophia Robin,a citizen of the united state of America,I work at
HSBC Bank in Milan Italy,as Telex Manager charge of wire transfer
department,i'm contacting you personally for investment assistance and
a long term business relationship in your Country.i'm contacting you
for an important and urgent business transaction,I want the bank to
transfer the money left by Dr.Cheng Chao,a Chinese Politician who
died,March 17th 2020,without any trace of his family members,he used
our bank to launder money overseas through the help of their Political
advisers.and most of the funds which they transferred out of the
shores of China, were gold and oil money that was supposed to have
been used to develop the continent.
Can you invest this money and also help the poor? The amount value at
$15.5million Dollars($US15,500,000),left in his account still
unclaimed,if you know that you are capable to invest this fund into
any profitable business in your country kindly send me your details
information as listed below to enable me draft you an application form
of claim along with the deposit certificate which you are going to
fill with your bank account detail necessary and contact the HSBC Bank
in Italy for immediate transfer of the Amounted sum into your bank
account direct. Percentage share will be 60,for me/40,for you.
(1) Your full name.....................
(2) Your address................
(3) Your Nationality...............
(4) Your Age / Sex.....................
(5) Your Occupation.......................
(6) Your marital status........................
(7) Your direct telephone number..................
(8) Your photo..................
Thanks with my best regards.Mrs.Sophia Robin,
Telex Manager Milan Italy,(H.S.B.C)