fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "email@example.com" (this email address has been used in a known scam)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: "Mr Andrew Tweedie" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2021 16:50:45 +0100
Subject: INTERNATIONAL MONETARY FUND (IMF)
INTERNATIONAL MONETARY FUND (IMF)
HEAD OFFICE NO: 1900 Pennsylvania Ave NW,
Washington, DC 20431, United States
Contact: Mr Andrew Tweedie
Tele + 1 305 340 5939
This is to intimate you of a very important information which will be of a great help to redeem you from all the difficulties you have been experiencing in getting your long overdue payment due to excessive demand for money from you by both corrupt Bank officials and Courier Companies after which your fund remain unpaid to you.
I am Mr. Andrew Tweedie a highly placed official of the International Monetary Fund (IMF). It may interest you to know that reports have reached our office by so many correspondences on the uneasy way which people like you are treated by Various Banks and Courier Companies/ Diplomat across Europe to Africa and Asia /London Uk and we have decided to put a stop to that and that is why I was appointed to handle your transaction here in USA.
All Governmental and Non-Governmental prostates, NGOs, Finance Companies, Banks, Security Companies and Courier companies which have been in contact with you of late have been instructed to back up from your transaction and you have been advised NOT to respond to them anymore since the IMF is now directly in charge of your payment.
You are hereby advised NOT to remit further payment to any institutions with respect to your transaction as your fund will be
transferred to you directly from our source.
I hope this is clear. Any action contrary to this instruction is at your own risk. Respond to this e-mail with immediate effect and we shall give you further details on how your fund will be released.
Reconfirm the information bellow
(1) FULL NAME:---------------
(2) DATE OF BIRTH:---------------
(3) MARITAL STATUS:---------------
(5) HOME ADDRESS:---------------
(10) CELL (MOBIL) NO:---------------
(13) PASSPORT / ID COPY:---------------
(14) YOUR ALTERNATIVE EMAIL ADDRESS:---------------
Also Call me as soon as you receive the letter so that you will be
given an immediate response:
Mr Andrew Tweedie
Tele :+ 1 305 340 5939