fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "dear friend" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "mtcn" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "cotonou" (a location commonly mentioned in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- +22962564778 (Benin, probably a prepaid mobile phone)
- +229 (Benin, probably a prepaid mobile phone)
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Mrs.Vickie Berryman" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2021 07:51:18 -0800
Subject: ATM card delivey
I have registered your ATM CARD of $2.5million with FedEx Express
Delivery Company with registration code of ( Shipment Code awb
33xzs,ATM Card Registered Code No xgt442. Security Code
sctc/2001dhx/567/;Transaction Code 233/cstc/101/33028/;Certificate
Deposit code;sctc/bun/xxiv/-78/01). please Contact with your delivery
information such as,Your Name,Your Address and Your Telephone Number:
FedEx Express Delivery Company
Name of Dir:Mr. Edward Tony Mark
I have paid for the Insurance & Delivery fee.The only fee you have to
pay is their Security fee only.Please indicate the registration Number
and ask Him how much is their Security fee is $55.usd dollar so that
you can pay it.
Here is the information to make the payment through Ria Money Transfer
OR World Remit Express Union or office below or buy steam wallet gift
card or I Tunes card send okay
Receiver's first name: ALUFA OMAURU
Address:17/45 PH Agata
Country: Benin republic
Country Code 00229
Amount needed $55.usd dollar
Mtcn code number:----------------------
Thanks for your co-operation and do update me once the money is send.