fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "required fee " (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "into your nominated bank account" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "transfer of your funds" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- ",500,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "your urgent reply" (scammers rush victims so they don't have time to think properly)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Dr. Brian Moynihan" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2021 20:22:11 -0800
Subject: Bank of America
Co-Chief Operating Officer Of Bank of America
100 North Tryon Street Charlotte, North Carolina,
I'm Dr. Brian Moynihan, I believed you have received this letter before.
On behalf of the entire staff of the Bank of America, The Management of
the Bank of America Corporate Office Headquarters here in Charlotte NC,
wishes to inform you that after a brief meeting held by the Co-Chief
Operating Officer Of Bank of America on the November 24th 2021, we deem
it appropriate to intimate you that your funds will be transferred into
Mrs.Annette Cang bank account of Treasury bank account if you failed to
send the required fee, According to the record we got from our payment
Office due to your inability to complete the transaction and your failure
to meet up with a payment obligation.The actual transfer of your funds
US$36.5 Million into Mrs. Annette Cang account comes up next 5 days.
The United States Insurance Policy fee is mandatory for any transfer of
funds here in the America involving amounts above $1,000,000.00 USD (One
million USD).The amount to be transferred into your account is US$36.5
Million and is far above $1 Million. This is why the $25 fee is required
and the fee cannot be deducted from source in accordance, with section 3
subsection 2(a) of the Huge Funds Transfer Regulation Act HFTRA of 2001
promulgated by law after the terrorist attack on our dear country.
Meanwhile, note that this is the only fees that you will bear the cost
and your approval funds sum of US$36.5 Million (Thirty Six MillionFive
hundred thousand Dollars) will transfer to you without any delays, and
will are doing Auditing for the year 2021, so we want your funds $36.5
Million to be transferred into your nominated bank account the same day
we receive this fees from you. We are doing banking Auditing for the year
2021, so we advise you to treat as matter of urgency and try as much as
possible you can to raise and come up with the fees of $75 dollars for
(Fund Legality Certificate and Bulk Money Transfer Permit Certificate)
and send it to Bank of America Accountant Officer in benin as the funds
origin/Cashier Office within 72hours you receive this email, so that we
can transfer your Funds into your bank account before closing for the
day, We are doing banking Auditing for the year 2015 and all unclaimed
fund will be cancel and send back to Mrs. Annette Cang account as true
beneficiary of this funds.
Note, that if you still wish to receive your funds do get back to us
immediately so that we will remove your funds transfer from the list
of those transactions to be seized by the United States Government. Also
be informed that we need only a Fund Legality Certificate and Bulk Money
Transfer Permit Certificate to complete your wire transfer. The fee to
obtain the Fund Legality Certificate and Bulk Money Transfer Permit
Certificate was reduced to $75 and no other fee is involved. You are
required to send the fee of $75 by Apple Gift Card
If we receive the $75 Apple Gift Card today, we will transfer your funds
US$36,500,000.00 (Thirty Six Million Five hundred thousand Dollars) before
we close office and the funds will reflect 3 hours after the transfer. We
will send you all the transfer documents to enable you start making cash
withdrawals from your account same day the funds are transferred. We have
waited for so long and we cannot continue to wait. Meanwhile, a woman came
to this bank a few days ago with a letter claiming to be your representative
and she agreed to pay the charges of the $75.
Here is her information below.
Bank Name:Bank of America
Bank address:2075 S. Victoria Ave, Ventura, CA 93003
Acct. Name: Mrs.Annette Cang
Routing # 063100277
Failing to reply this email and pay the required fee of $75 urgently
we shall proceed to issue all payments details to the said Mrs.Annette
Cang if we do not hear from you within the next 72 hours from today.
We are sorry for any inconvenience the delay in transferring of your
fund must have caused you.
I need your urgent reply .
NB: THIS TRANSACTION IS BEING MONITORED BY THE UNITED STATES
GOVERNMENT IN ORDER TO GUARDS US FOR INTERNET IMPOSTORS.
Dr. Brian Moynihan
Co-chief Operating Officer,
Bank of America Office North Carolina