fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: Mark Roberts <email@example.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2021 13:38:18 +0100
Subject: Investment/Business Proposal
RE: REQUEST FOR BUSINESS / INVESTMENT PARTNERSHIP.
I represent a Group of Company who is currently seeking means of
expanding and relocating his business interest abroad in the following
sectors: energy sector, real estate, construction, stock, mining,
transportation, health sector, Communication Services, Agriculture or
any other viable sector. More so, we are ready to facilitate and fund
any business that is capable of generating 5% annual return on
investment (AROI) on Joint Venture partnership bases. We are seeking
for a credible and trustworthy investment partner on Joint Ventures
Partnership in any viable business/project. The investment must be
capable of generating 5% AROI. This decision is due to the good
economic stability we have seen in your region. He wish to invest this
fund outside the Gulf Region and he want his government to know of
this investment. As such you will be acting as the manager and sole
controller of the investment while he remains a silent investor for a
period of ten years. Our core investment was mainly in the oil sector
but this move becomes necessary due to the huge fall in oil price
coupled with the great economic instability in the our region. The
Investor is able, willing and ready to invest in any VIABLE
business/project ranging from any amount. I look forward to discuss
this opportunity in details with you.
Let us hear from you.