fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a "New Partner from Paraguay" scam.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: yamatty SIBAYAN <email@example.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2021 11:28:00 +0000
I'm happy to inform you about my success in getting my funds
transferred under the cooperation of a new partner from Japan
.Presently I'm move Japan this night around 5 am my local time for
investment projects with my own share of the total sum. Meanwhile,i
didn't forget your past efforts and attempts to assist me in
transferring those funds despite that it failed us some how. Now
contact my Pastor in Cote d' Ivoire,his name is Pastor Samma williams
email address firstname.lastname@example.org , ask him to send you the total
of $500.000.00 (five hundred thousand USD) ATM CARD which I kept for
your compensation for all the past efforts and attempts to assist me
in this matter. I appreciated your efforts at that time very much, so
feel free and get in touched with my Pastor Samma williams and
instruct him where to send the ATM CARD to you.Please do let me know
immediately you receive it so that we can share the joy after all the
sufferer at that time. in the moment,
I am very busy here because of the investment projects which me and my
new partner are having at hand, finally, remember that I had forwarded
instruction to my Pastor on your behalf to receive that ATM CARD, Now
get in touch with him ( Pastor Samma williams )and he will send the
ATM to you immediately.I will not be able to check my email again
because i will be busy when i arrive Japan Tomorrow morning.