fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "claims agent" (real lotteries do not use a "claim agent" / "fiduciary agent")
- "million united states dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a fake lottery scam. Consider the following facts about real lotteries:
- They don't notify winners by email.
- You can't win without first buying a lottery ticket.
- They don't randomly select email addresses to award prizes to.
- They don't use free email accounts (Yahoo, Hotmail, etc) to communicate with you.
- They don't tell you to call a mobile phone number.
- They don't tell you to keep your winnings secret.
- They will never ask a winner to pay any fees to receive a prize!
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: John William <email@example.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2021 14:54:46 +0100
Subject: Very Important,
This is to inform you that you have been selected for a cash prize of
$1,000,000.00 US (One Million United States Dollars) and a brand new
BMW XB7 Car from International programs held on the 11TH of September
2021 in USA.
Description of prize vehicle;
Model: Alpina XB7
Color (exterior/interior): Black Sapphire Metallic/Black Leather
Transmission: Automatic 6 Speed
Options: Cold weather package, premium package, fold down rear seats
w/ski bag, am Fm stereo with single in dash compact disc player.
The selection process was carried out through random selection in our
computerized email selection system(ess) from a database of over
250,000 email addresses drawn from all the continents of the world.
The BMW Lottery is approved by the United Sates of America Gaming
Board and also Licensed by the The International Association of Gaming
Regulators (IA-GR). This promotional lottery is the 3rd of its kind
and we intend to sensitize the public.
To begin the processing of your prize you are to contact our fiduciary
claims department for more information as regards procedures to claim
Contact him by please providing him with your secret pin code
x7pwyz2007 and your Reference Number BMW:2551256003/23.You are also
advised to provide him with the under listed information as soon as
We ask that you keep this award personal, till your claims have been
processed and your funds remitted to you. This is a part of our
security measures to avoid double claiming or unwarranted participants
or imposters, taking advantage of the situation Failure to claim your
prizes (CASH) would result to forfeiting and will be used for next
10,000,000 US Dollars international lottery program.
Furthermore, should there be any change in your contact address, do
inform your claims agent as soon as possible.
For more information call or send sms to this Number/ WhatsApp: +1
Once again congratulations.
Mr John William