fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "firstname.lastname@example.org" (this email address has been used in a known scam)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: Richard Donald <email@example.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2021 22:07:59 +0100
Subject: Your Partnership
I am Richard Donald, a Financial Consultant, Adviser and Representative to
business moguls and politicians. I am seeking your consent to stand as my
late client's Foreign Partner that has the full capacity to receive the sum
of USD3, 645,310:00M.
Should you consider this proposition willing to do, it will be shared
60/40%, as this is a TWO-MAN business deal . Send your response with
information below to :[ firstname.lastname@example.org <email@example.com> ]
1. Full Name:
2. Home address:
3. Direct/personal cell number
4. A copy of any governmental issued identification
5. Your occupation
Please keep this brief close to your chest as much as possible
Mr. Richard Donald