fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "dear beneficiary," (this SPAM email was probably sent to thousands of people)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: "Mr.Scott Brannan"<email@example.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2021 01:26:30 -0800
Subject: Good Morning Dear Beneficiary,, 18.104.22.168
Good Morning Dear Beneficiary,
Apologies for the delay in response and Misunderstanding.
We are busy making efforts to ensure that once you receive your funds you will have no problem accessing it. The total funds you are to receive is $2.5 million USD only.
Having received your mail,we will like to know the means best suitable for you through which you may like to receive this funds?
Three means are available with their little cost each as shown below.
1. Initiating online account and crediting your $2.5 m into it. Then give you the access details to access your funds by your self. Cost is $150 USD.
2. Direct wire transfer to your account: cost $250 USD
3. Issuing ATM card and loading your $2.5 m into the ATM account and deliver it to your address: cost $200 USD.
Let me your choice.