fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "inheritance funds" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "million united states dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: Mrs Beverly Damla <email@example.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2021 16:40:59 +0800
Subject: Good News From Mrs Beverly Damla
Bank Address: MecidiyekÃ¶y, Rasit Riza Sokagi No:10, 34387 Sisli/Istanbul
Please Reply to any of this emails (firstname.lastname@example.org)
***** SERVICE 24HRS *****
Dear Sir / Madam,
LETTER OF COMPENSATION / SETTLEMENT.
We hereby inform you que October of our records for the year
investigation it is drawn to us que you have Been victimized by the
men of the underworld (Pretenders / impostors). However, the
management has been dutifully empowered by the Investigation bureau
office of the Prime Minister and Commander-in-chief of the Armed
Forces of the Turkey to curb all illicit transaction and workload of
In line with the Anti-corruption crusade of the Prime
Minister,Mr.Recep Tayyip Erdogan.you are by this Email notification to
stop any contact Regarding this illegal transaction with this
Hoodlums. Out of our findings, the image of this country Has Been
dented Internationally During the past administration of Turkey
Presently, we have employed the strategy sanity to remit, and vow to
terminate the activity of this fraudsters, by Consolidating our
security Network all over the country in view to monitor all outgoing
and incoming communication enable us to fish out and avert all illegal
and suspicious transaction Both domestically and internationally
respectively. Moreover, it Occur que some of our Financial
Institutions (Banks) serves as a pipe condit by fraudsters use to
which this perpetrate the undo crime. We have signal All These
financial institutions to scrutinized in Place investigation before
carrying any bank found transaction. Any culpable of breaching the
law, must have Their operational license revoke.
In Accordance with the criminal and other related offense act 25 of
2020 constitution, we have been officially compel by Suat Hayri
ÃrgÃ¼plÃ¼, Senate committee on Foreign Affair to mapped October billions
of Dollars from the Annual Budget to compensate all defrauded Victims
the part of the ongoing National Reform Scheme of the presidency and
means to radiate for criticism immunity. In view of this, we Have Been
informed That You are still dealing with Those hoodlums in all your
attempts to secure the release of your funds. We wish to advise you
que such an illegal act has to stop if you wish to receive your
payment since we have Decided to bring a solution to your problem.
Do be informed que we reserve the right at our discretion to sue you
for damage on recognition of further Top contact with this people. By
the strength of this development the sum of US $5.Million United
States Dollars (USD $5,000,000.00) Has Been SIGNED to each
Beneficiaries to be paid. This Memorandum is to notify you That You
Will Be Settled with the sum of US $5.Million United States Dollars
(US $5,000,000.00) / your Inheritance / contract or lotto payment.
Kindly send the above information:
1. Your full name:
2. Your residential address:
3. Mobile and fax number (for regular official contact).
These above-mentioned information's will officially enable us to carry
out of our verification processes and after your que compensation sum
/ Inheritance Funds will be approved in your name and Electronically
wired into your designated Bank account or by ATM Card or Cash
delivery or Online banking to your doorstep. Depending on Which mode
of payment you prefer.
You are to contact this office upon receipt of this notification
immediately to proceed for payment. Vision: To fight corruption to the
stand still and restore Turkish to the enviable standard of
respectability and dignity of the state. Please do Respond back to us
with this email. (email@example.com)Best Regard, Mrs Beverly Damla
The Director of the Ziraat Bank Powered by Information Communication
Technology Dept., (C) 2021, registered trademark.S