fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "western union" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "mtcn" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "cotonou" (a location commonly mentioned in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- Western Union money transfer is completely untraceable and therefore is *not* safe to use with anyone you do not know personally. It is the preferred method of online criminals to collect money from their victims.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (AOL; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: "Ms.Laurie Rose " <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2021 20:12:37 +0100
Subject: HELLO! DEAR! GOOD NEWS TO YOU,
FROM: Ms.Laurie Rose,THE OFFICER IN CHARGE UPS
Delivery Company TENNESSEE. Address: 4300 Founders
Way, Chattanooga, UPS Freight Service Center TN 37416,
USA Phone Number +1(279) 972-6606 or this number +1(518)9641300
HELLO! DEAR! GOOD NEWS TO YOU,
Good Morning, My Name is Ms.Laurie Rose,the office in charge UPS
Delivery Express Services here in CHATTANOOGA TENNESSEE 37416 . This
is to inform you that we have received a package containing an ATM
card from Mr.John Nelson the Chairman Federal Reserve Board Benin
Republic and we have been instructed to deliver the package to you
without any further delay again as the International Monetary Fund IMF
HERE ARE SOME DETAILS OF YOUR ATM CARD: - you should not allow third
party to gain access to this information's is for your ATM Card
safety. Image result for ups package
ATM Card Number: (4061 7540 0028 8707)
Security Pin Code: (Cannot Be Listed On Internet for Security Reason)
ATM Card value is: ($860Million)
Withdrawal per day: $12,000 US DOLLARS
Expiration Date: 15-02-2023
The pin code and instruction on how to use the card have been parceled
so when you get your parcel you will open it and then all other
information is there to assist you to start making use of the card in
any ATM MACHINE AROUND YOU. Meanwhile i am very happy to let you know
that the delivery fee of your package has been paid by the Bank
Federal Reserve Board Benin Republic Branch were your Fund was
approved so you don't have to pay for any delivery fee again,
The only thing remaining right now is the (insurance Coverage fee and
the Signing Stamp) of your package which you are to settle to the
approved receiver Agent Benin Republic as the Authorities have
Authorized before your package will be delivered to you. Note that we
can not take the Risk of Delivering your package to you without
insuring it because we can not afford to pay for any lost or Damage in
the process of delivering your package to you, try and understand the
situation at hand.
However the tracking number of your package will be issued to you as
soon as we receive the (insurance Coverage and the Singing/Stamp) fee
of $40.00 from you, So You are here by advised to proceed to any
western union and send the (insurance Coverage fee and the Singing /
Stamp) to our receiving branch Head Office in Benin Republic, to
enable us proceed with the final delivery to your Door Step,
Below is the information to send the (insurance Coverage fee and the
Singing / Stamp) of $40.00 Via Western Union Money Transfer and bear
in mind that all you will ever have to spend to received this Fund is
$40.00 Dollars Nothing more Nothing less or you can buy steam wallet
gift card or Ebay card Google Paly Card of $50
Receivers Name-- Ben Larry
Country-- Benin Republic
Amount to send $40.00 dollars only
Take note that you will have to stop communication with every other
person if you have been in contact with any. Also remember that all
you will ever have to spend is $40.00 nothing more! Nothing less! And
we Guarantee the receipt of your Fund to be successfully delivered to
you within the next 7hrs after confirmation receipt of the fee of
$40.00 USD only. Note: Everything has been taken care of, including
Taxes, Custom Paper and Clearance Duty. So, all you will ever need to
pay is $40.00 Dollars Only.
Note that you can Withdrawal Money from your international ATM
Debit/Master Card from any ATM Machine Location or Center of your
Choice/Nearest to you in any part of the world.
Please kindly Reconfirm the following details Below to avoid any wrong
delivery over this Transaction,
1. Your full name:
2. Delivery address:
3. Your tel number:
4. A copy of your id or id numbers for identification:
5. Nearest airport:
Be advised that this is the only delay we have now and you must do
what you can to comply with the fee so that we can get this done
Today, so do get back to us when you have send the fee as well,
Your package will be sent to you upon confirmation receipt of the
Delivery fee. We are so sure of everything and we are giving you a
100% money back Guarantee if you do not receive payment/package within
the next 7hrs after you have made the payment for shipping.
Forward The Western Union Mtcn And Also The Senders Information To
This Office Once The Payment Is Made So That We Can Get Your Package
Insured And Proceed With The Delivery Of Your Package To Your Door
Reply back to us accordingly; we wait for your expedite response with
the payment information today.
Ms.Laurie Rose,4300 Founders Way, Chattanooga, UPS Freight Service
Center TN 37416, USA GET SHIP DONE Image result for ups manager
Image result for UPS Delivery Express Services