fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "claims agent" (real lotteries do not use a "claim agent" / "fiduciary agent")
- "million united states dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "email@example.com" (this email address has been used in a known scam)
- This email message is a fake lottery scam. Consider the following facts about real lotteries:
- They don't notify winners by email.
- You can't win without first buying a lottery ticket.
- They don't randomly select email addresses to award prizes to.
- They don't use free email accounts (Yahoo, Hotmail, etc) to communicate with you.
- They don't tell you to call a mobile phone number.
- They don't tell you to keep your winnings secret.
- They will never ask a winner to pay any fees to receive a prize!
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- +447041986899 (UK, redirects to a mobile phone in another country)
Fraud email example:
From: FACEBOOK COVID PROMO<firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: 15 Nov 2021 09:53:58 -0800
Subject: FACEBOOK LOTTERY AWARD.
FACEBOOK POST COVID 19 LOTTO FOUNDATION !!!
(Founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg)
European Region Office:
10B Widemarsh Street Hereford Square,
London HP1 8HFD England.
Dear Lucky Winner,
We happily announce to you that upon conclusion of the 2021
Facebook Post Covid 19 bailout Lotto Program, your E-mail address
has emerge as one of the newly introduced Digital Lottery Program
winner which was conducted via your registered active email at
our Facebook Lotto Draw Headquarters in London United Kingdom
which involves the use of email addresses. This lottery started
after Facebook CEO and the wife decided to donate 99% of their
share for Charity , you can watch this proof on :
Facebook Lottery offer this winning every year to promote the use
of Internet, Instagram and Facebook, support families and
businesses , due to the effect of covid 19. Your email has won
for you One Million United States Dollars ( $1,000,000 USD) in
the 2021 category and in this category (500) E-mail address came
out as winners and your E-mail is one of the lucky selected
FACEBOOK POST COVID 19 LOTTO FOUNDATION have warned all winner
to keep this notification secret to avoid cancellation because
Government prefer to get this donation than giving it direct to
individual, so do not expose your winning till you get your won
amount in your local account.
List of Facebook Donation:
YOUR WINNING NOTIFICATION:
Ticket number: 00545188564756,
Prize : #77801209/N,
WINNING NUMBER: FB/575061725.
Serial number 5368/02
Lucky numbers: 1798096746
Kindly forward your details to our claims agent with below
Contact Person : Prof. Jerry Hoffman
Contact E-mail : email@example.com
Phone Number : +44-7041-9868-99
(**) Your Full names:
(**) Your Mobile Number:
(**) Your Contact address:
(**) Your Occupation:
(**) Your Country:
(**) Your Age & Sex:
(**) Marital Status:
(**) And your lucky number above:
(**) Won email address:
(**) Won Amount :
(**) Have you won online Before ?:
Note: Any prize not claimed within this period of (7 working
days) from now will be forfeited. For security reasons, we advice
all winners to keep this information confidential from the public
notice until your claims is processed and released to you. This
is part of our security protocol to avoid double claiming and
unwarranted taking advantage of this program by non-participant
or unofficial personnel,if double claims arise with your winning
, you will be disqualified.
Follow the directives of your claims agent and paying Bank to
ensure that you get your won amount.
Congratulation once more again on your winning.
Yours in service,
Head Of Lottery Organization.