fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "your urgent reply" (scammers rush victims so they don't have time to think properly)
- "abidjan" (a location commonly mentioned in 419 scams)
- "god fearing " (scammers in West Africa like to use religious phrases)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: jessica philip <email@example.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2021 03:12:20 +1200
I am Mrs.Jessica Philip. Am an aging widow suffering from long time
illness(breast cancer) i am currently admitted in a private hospital here
in Abidjan cote d'Ivory, I have some money I inherited from my late loving
husband Mr.Paul Philip . The total sum of (US$6.5M) which he deposited in
one of the Bank Here and I need a honest and God fearing person who have
the feelings of human that can use this funds for a Charity purposes and
20% out of the total sum will be for your compensation for doing this work
of God. Please if you would be able to use these funds for the said purpose
kindly reply to me. Please your religion does not matter to me, What
matters most is using the money with the fear of Almighty God, Your urgent
reply will be highly appreciated,