fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "million us dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "god fearing " (scammers in West Africa like to use religious phrases)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Rev.Father Wilson Kampson." <email@example.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2021 01:47:37 -0800
Subject: let us work with the God with this funds pls read the message
Greetings to you in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.It is my
pleasure to contact you after my satisfactory appraisal and acceptance
of your proven track records.
My Name is Rev.Father Wilson Kampson of the Vatican City priesthood of
the Roman Catholic Church. I got your email address as i was checking
track records in terms of searching of a Godly fellow, who will assist
me to extend the help that i want to render to the poor and needy in
Due to the nature of faith which i have sworn not to disobey as a
priest and monk in the priesthood, i can not carry the assignment but
needs some of trust and one that will not betray the work.
It pains me to discover that many people are suffering and dying of
Hunger and starvation and family hardships whereas here in the
priesthood, there is so much to eat and enjoy. Therefore,i have
decided to help the poor and
the needy through the pocket of the priesthood, without the knowledge
of the Sect.
I am the financial controller of this sect and i know the amount of
funds in their bank account. I want to use you as a means to extend
this helping hands to the poor masses, by transferring the sum of
($26.00000) twenty Six Million Us Dollars to your country.
My purpose of doing this is that our sect have this lots of money
without using it to the benefit of the wood, needy and the poor which
is the instruction from God as i learn from my bible school.I plan
that we will use this money to build a charity organization in your
country under your care to enhance this stretching our helping hands
to the poor ,needy and widowhood as i am directed in mind to use it
for charity work to help the needy and poor of your Country and your
next neighboring Country.
I would have love to do this myself, but due to the lifestyle of the
priests, which forbids us from relating to the outside world, it
becomes difficult for me. If really Someone of GOD FEARING FIGURE like
you,WHO WILL NOT BETRAY THIS TRUST I'M ABOUT TO REPOSE ON to carry out
this assignment, Please I would like you to assure me that every funds
that enters your hand MUST be used mainly for this humanitarian
Please if you are really touched to carry out this assignment, kindly
get back to me via email: (firstname.lastname@example.org) And Provide below of
I request that you should reconfirm and forward to us as listed
below Via email attachment
1. A valid international passport, national identity card or Drivers
license (for Identification purpose)
2. A passport size photograph.
3. Your home or office address
4. Your direct telephone Numbers
5. Your country name
6. Your banking info
7. Your Occupation
let us work with the God with this funds pls read the message
PLEAS NO THIRD PARTY OF SECURITY SEASON
God Bless You:
Yours in Christ Jesus,
Rev.Father Wilson Kampson.